Listed building grade 1
Church of St Leonard
50°29’27.8″N 4°01’53.4″W (enter these in your smartphone navigator)
Such a glorious Dartmoor church, granite through and through, a fantastic tower, well carved doorways, medieval granite windows that are just wondrous and set in a sweet churchyard. Delicious.
Above the south entrance there is a not-to-be-missed Memento Mori carving from the 17th century, to remind us that death is coming for all. It’s been placed here from elsewhere, and it is a powerful piece.
Inside there is a stunning early 20th century rood screen carved by Herbert Read in a very traditional Devon style, and it is a total winner; well proportioned and a beauty.
The chancel is covered in tiles, walls and floor, and is an impressive sight.
The bench ends are all by Violet Pinwill and her workshop and are another delights; historical scenes and Instruments of the Passion abound.
There is also a very moving alabaster wall memorial from the 17th century, bashed around but still a powerful piece.
Add on the proper granite interior and some good stand glass, and its position on the High Moor, and this is a church well worth a trip to.
- South aisle
- A very shallow north transept
- West tower
- South porch
- Circa late C15
- Restored in 1862
- Granite rubble wall
- Tower of granite ashlar
- Gable ended slate roof
- Good 3 stage
- Crenellated and crocketted pinnacles
- Moulded string courses and plinth
- 2-light belfry openings
- Cinquefoiled heads with a quatrefoil in between.
- 4-centred arched west doorway of Roborough stone
- Heavily moulded
- Incised leaf design in spandrels and square hood-mould
- Tall 3-light west window of Roborough stone
- Perpendicular tracery
- North side of the tower is a pentagonal stair turret
- The 2-light north windows all restored
- Very shallow
- A 2-light late C15 window of Roborough stone
- Cinquefoiled heads
- To the left of the transept
- A shallow projection
- Originally probably for the rood stairs
- East window is 3-light
- With Perpendicular tracery
- Restored apart from its jambs
- 3-light Perpendicular east window
- Roborough stone
- South wall has four 2-light Perpendicular windows
- Alternating with granite ashlar buttresses
- Single storey
- Similar doorway to tower.
- Above it is a recess
- Containing a grotesque carved stone
- In the form of a skull holding cross-bones in its mouth
- With ears of corn coming out of its eye sockets
- And an hourglass below
- 4-centred arched granite south doorway
- With broad chamfer and straight cut stops
- 5 bay granite arcade to south aisle of Pevsner A-type piers
- Depressed 4-centred double-chamfered arches
- Similar chancel and transept arch.
- Tower arch is tall and more pointed
- Good modern rood screen of 1914
- An exact replica of the original removed in 1862
- C20 scissor brace roofs
- Probably C15 granite octagonal font
- Panelled pedestal and high relief shields on sides of bowl
- 2 C17 on north wall
- One of 1641 to Elizabeth Elford
- With a figure of the lady semi-reclining, her baby beside her on the couch
- Three kneeling daughters by the bedside
- The other a slate plaque
- Commemorating members of the Elford family who were gentry of the parish
- It has 7 shields at the top carrying the arms of various members of the family
A very shallow north transept, possibly containing the Elford family pew
Restored in 1862 when rood screen was removed.
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0