Listed building grade 1
Church of All Saints
50°57’06.5″N 3°38’15.0″W (enter these in your smartphone navigator)
A quiet church in a very rural parish, the outside is a combination of lime-washed render and Devon red stone it it is a grand sight. Very charming.
Inside the roof has wooden medieval angels on the sides and some good foliage roofbosses.
The tower arch is quite a sight too, very tall, unusual for this size of church.
The chancel could be from the 13th century and is a beautifully simple space. Very nice indeed.
There is a very novel wooden wall memorial from 1941 down near the tower with a design very much of its time. Well worth a look.
A simple medieval font and some very nice 19th century stained cap things off, and make this a sweet church to spend some time in.
- West tower
- North aisle
- Possibly C13 fabric to chancel
- Nave rebuilt in late C15 or early C16
- North aisle and west tower added then too
- South wall of nave rebuilt 1827.
- Restoration of 1900
- Random stone rubble
- Entirely rendered
- Except for west tower.
- Slate roofs
- 3 stages
- Diagonal buttresses
- North-east stair turret
- Low embattled parapet
- 2-light pointed arched bell-openings to each face
- Fenestration mainly of 1900 restoration, Perpendicular style
- West window of 3 lights
- Pointed arched doorway
- 3 light and single light window
- Priest’s door has single light windows to each side
- That to left ogee-headed
- That to right cusped headed
- Both with iron stanchions and saddle bars
CHANCEL & NORTH AISLE
- 3-light windows to east end of chancel and north aisle
NAVE & AISLE
- Continuous north arcade of 4 bays
- Piers of Pevsner ‘A’ type
- Standard capitals with abstract ornamentation
- Ceiled wagon-roofs to nave and north aisles
- That to nave is particularly fine
- Every alternate rib supported by angel figures standing on corbels
- Large carved bosses at the intersections
- C19 nave seating
- Plastered barrel vault with moulded plaster cornice
- C18 communion rails
- With alternating barley twist and straight turned balusters
- Large octagonal Perpendicular font with tracery motifs
A large rural parish
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0